Sunday, September 18, 2022

Prog 23

I started this blog with no knowledge of 2000AD, and 23 issues in I still know nothing. I had intended to learn about the writers and artists as I progress, but so far I have been completely engaged with the stories that I haven't had a single thought of looking further for information. Maybe that will come in future, but for now, I am up to my eyeballs in the stories and enjoying every moment of it.


Prog 23

30 July 1977

The first panel of Invasion grabs my attention immediately, but it's not the striking image of Bill Savage that I'm drawn to, but rather the caption above him. "1994- year of the massive Volgan invasion of Britain." 1994? That doesn't sound right. A quick check of previous blogs and I'm vindicated - the invasion was 1999, I hadn't imagined it. Hamish 1, 2000AD nil. Smugly I continue my read. At first glance, this is another standard working-class man verse the Volgans story, with Bill Savage linking up with coal miners in Newcastle to take on the Volgans. What elevates it this week is the dynamic artwork, as panel after panel we see Bill Savage at his bone-crunching best. While he bashes and smashes his way through the story, the story itself delivers a twist that sets up a final setpiece involving coal buckets, nicely rounding out the theme of the story. Not the most taxing of reads, but there is a lot that happens across the pages, and the surprise near the end is a great way to bring us to the final page of action. As much as I like the story, the artwork just pips it in my estimation, and I could choose any number of panels to represent this story.  

Rating: 7/10

Best Line:  "You ain't Geordie, you're a dirty Volg agent..aaah!"



I wasn't too fussed by Harlem Heroes last week. This week is much better, and once again I am engaged with the story. The beauty of these comics is that they move quickly from week to week, so anything that doesn't appeal may well be gone the following week, and conversely, anything I love is likely to disappear in a few weeks. I guess the moral is to live for the moment and enjoy where you are in the story. This time out we have the continuation of the game against the Bushido Blades, a team that plays with sacrifice and honour. The contest is brutal, but then again every game of aeroball we've seen on these pages is, but it does give the art a chance to flex its muscle with some impressive-looking collisions. It is the final page that I am most interested in, as any thoughts I have of the game vanishes at halftime with the appearance of Ulysses Cord, and from the Hero's side Louis. Louis has developed the power to enter people's minds, which seems like a big revelation to me, and he seeps into Ulysses's brain. It happens very quickly and comes out of nowhere, spinning the story back to its wider context. I'm not sure where it will go from here, it will be difficult to think of the game now that I've seen this at halftime, but I am more than pleased to see some wider development of the story. 

Rating: 6/10

Best line: "Surely you're not going to take advice from that...that hunk of tissue?"



I was hoping to see Shako get some sort of revenge on Falmuth, and after a tough start, I am rewarded in spades. We last left Shako Iaid out on the ice with Falmuth about to deliver the killing blow. Now it wouldn't be much of a comic if that happened, so Shako is saved by Dollar, and then dragged across the ice to the waiting medical staff in perhaps the most evocative panel in this week's issue. I am overjoyed as he awakens and immediately battles the humans, I don't know, perhaps I am feeling particularly bloodthirsty this week, but this scene is fantastic. Even better is when he tears off Falmuths gun arm, leaving him swearing revenge in the final panels, setting up a continuing vendetta. Everything in this issue was great, and the panels where Shako goes crazy for revenge are noteworthy, making for a highly rated episode in my estimation. 

Rating: 8.5/10

Best Line: "Yeah! ol' Jake K's gonna perform an operation now...without an anaesthetic!



Dan Dare has given me a lot of joy over the last six months, so I am shocked and surprised to find that this is the last story for a while as the final panel informs us that the story will be taking a break. However, before I reach that point there is a lot to get through as the final issue is packed with action and story. There's the confrontation with the Mekon, an escape by Mekon, pursued by Dan Dare, and then a final escape from the planet as it explodes. Sometimes it feels rushed, but one can see why when we consider how much is packed into these pages. I am a touch disappointed with the frenzied ending but heartened by the fact that Dan Dare will be returning. These first 23 issues have constantly been among my favourites weekly, but I am sure that whatever follows will be just as good. Time will tell, and in the meantime, I will count down the days until Prog 24. 

Rating: 7/10

Best line: "It may take a hundred years, but one day we'll make planet-fall, and then I shall have your heads on plates! Meanwhile, we are trapped -hating each other -but unable to kill each other - quite ironic!"


  

M.A.C.H. 1. is thrills and action from the first panel to the last, with no single panel wasted. We are dropped right into the action with John Probe as he pilots his aircraft over enemy airspace to recover a downed pilot. From here on the story comes in a rush as he evades opposing forces, finds the pilot, fights off white wolves, and on a memorable final page combines all this as he throws a snowball of white wolves at his pursuers. I don't usually have strong feelings about M.A.C.H.1, but I can safely say that this is one of the good ones, and I am totally onboard from the first page to the last. Breathless action suits this strip well, and with no pause in the thrills and spills it delivers what it does best.    

Rating: 7/10

Best line:  "Aaah! An avalanche...of white wolves!"   



Judge Dredd is once again right when it comes to predicting the future. Not only did the writers predict that in the future smokers would be pushed out of public spaces, but also that smoking would come with grave warnings on the harm it can do to your health, as we have in current times. The story is woven around where smokers stand with the law in Mega-city 1, smoking is legal, but not in public. While Dredd issues a stern anti-smoking warning to some teens on the street, across town a bank robbery is taking place, with smoking providing the clues that will eventually see Dredd find the lawbreakers. Mega-city 1 is a central character here, not only do we learn more about the laws of the city, but we also get a close-up view of the cigarette stores in the future, as well as the one place where smokers can legally smoke- the Smokatorium. Seeing Dredd dish out justice is always a lot of fun, and there are some fantastic panels here as he deals with the crooks. Coupled with some great lines, Judge Dredd again delivers a great ending to another solid Prog.           

Rating: 7.5/10

Best line:  "Can't you read, boy? Get that weed out of your mouth!



Prog 23 final ratings:

Overall: 7/10

Best Story: Shako

Best Line: "Only dead men walk out of doors, lawbreaker -- smart ones use the window!"

Best Panel:






No comments:

Post a Comment

Prog 104

I don't know where this weekend has gone. One minute I was drinking beers and watching football, and the next minute it's Sunday eve...